1. to prepare onion root tip slides
2. to identify stages in mitosis
Exercise 5.1 : Prepared slides of mitosis
Exercise 5.2 : Preparation of onion root tips slide
1. What is stage in mitosis that freqently observed? Why?
Interphase because was the most frequent stage observed among the four stages of mitosis since it is the longest stage in a cell cycle.
2. Describe the chromosome behavior at each stage in mitosis
Behavior at each stage in mitosis.
Prophase – Chromosomes shorten/condense.
Metaphase – Chromosomes arrange on equatorial plate /
Anaphase – Chromosomes split and move to opposite poles of the
Telophase – Chromosomes arrive at the opposite poles.
3. Where does mitosis actively take place in plants?
Root tips and shoot apex.
4. Discuss the importance of mitosis
Importance of mitosis:
i. Maintain the genetic material.
Formation of new cells which are identical to parent cell in terms of number and structure of chromosomes
ii. Asexual reproduction.
Mitosis is the basis of asexual reproduction, production of new individuals of a species by one parent organism.
Some animals are able to regenerate whole parts of body, such as arms in star fish
Increases number of cells in multicellular organisms
v. Cell replacement.
Replaces damaged / old cells/tissues